Basil freezes well and gives a great fresh flavor to
soups, pastas, salads and sandwiches.
If you have basil growing in your garden or if you buy basil,
take time to freeze any unused basil to use later.
1. Remove basil leaves from stems. Wash and place on a towel to remove excess moisture or spin in a salad spinner.
2. Place basil in a food processor or blender and blend on high.
3. While processing, drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil for every 1 cup of packed basil leaves and blend until smooth and leaves are chopped into very small pieces.
4. Spoon 1 tablespoon of basil into each slot of an ice cube tray. Press into tray and smooth the surface. Freeze for several hours.
5. When frozen, remove frozen basil and place in a labeled freezer bag. Place in the freezer for later use. It is already pre-measured and ready to use so it saves time and is easy to add to a soup, sauce or pasta dish!